16/01/2013 Langford Lakes


Kingfisher: While at Longleat I took trip out to the near by Wiltshire Wildlife Trust Nature Reserve, I had been looking on the local wildlife sightings websites and noticed that Goosanders and Red Kites and Kingfishers has been spotted here.

This stunning male was practically playing with me, I first saw it from Number 7 hide - bird feeding station hide, where the feeders where empty. Here I was unable to get a picture  he then turned up gain at Robins hide where it was flitting between he one side of the lake to an island in the middle.

Robins hide is along side Brockbank Lake, the reserves second largest lake. This lake had about a dozen pairs of Great Crested Grebes and as I was watching these I noticed the Kingfisher perched in he trees on the left hand side of the hide.

The bird was constantly flying from one side to the other but mostly keeping from full view, behind a bloody branch!
Goosander (male): From Long Pool, the largest lake on the reserve I spotted 3 Goosander, 1 male and 2 female.

Other highlights where a Red Kite soaring above the education center, Siskin around the feeders and a green woodpecker feeding the the field along the track on the way in


(Female) I would definitely recommend a visit to Langford Lakes if anyone get the chance its a well present reserve with good facilities and  some great birds! They have also started to build a new hide and established a new reed bed which will only enhance the place.


www.wiltshirewildlife.org/Reserves/langfordlakes - Good site from Wiltshire Wildlife Trust about Langford Lakes