05/10/2014 Horwich Moors

Black Redstart: Thanks to Andy and Ian for the early morning update on Manc birding forum which persuaded me to to take a trip up the moor.

I drove up to the mast and as soon as I made it to the mast compound, where the black red was last reported, I stumbled upon Steve Burke.




After a catch up Steve told me he had the bird perching a few feet away from him only 20 minutes before I arrived. So I kept Steve company while we waited for the bird to show up again.





We decided to take a walk around the mast compound and after a long search we spotted one on the main building, only briefly before it flew off.


Steve and I relocated not one but two black reds on one of the fences surrounding one of the mast's guy ropes.

A good Sunday afternoon with some good company and a couple of cracking black reds.