13/05/2015 Loch Na Keal, Mull

White-tailed Sea Eagle: As part of my race to 300 Dawn and I took a trip to Mull for my 31st birthday celebrations - and am I glad we did!

Mull has always been a place I have wanted to set foot upon, to see their WTSE, Golden Eagle and Corncrake!
We only had three nights in Mull so had a bit of a challenge to see all Mull had to offer.

The plan was to see the Eagles and take a trip to Iona for the crakes, while staying in a B&B near Salen and we took our own car.
I had a good start to the trip, while on the  ferry over to the island I stood on the open deck hoping for some cetaceans. I got some stunning summer plumage GN Diver, Black Guillemots, Fulmar, Gannet and a single Great Skua but no sign of any Whales or Dolphins.



Dawn surprised me with a great birthday present and booked me on to Mull Charters Lady Jane boat, where they take you out on the loch and bait the Eagle in with free fish.


Just as I stepped onto the boat two guys from the RSPB Liverpool Local Group stepped off, Neil and Ron. I was in a state of surprise, when people say its a small world I know what they mean.
This was a highlight of the trip, not only did I get some absolutely brilliant views of a stunning bird of prey, but I also picked up a male Surf Scoter in Loch Na Keal.

The WTSE put on an awesome display and came for three fish making seven passes.




See the link for Mull Charters - I would highly recommend them but book early!

http://www.mullcharters.com/

And see this link for recent bird sighting around Mull - looks closely and there is a pic of the Surf Sctoer.

http://www.mullbirds.com/LATESTREPORTS.html

Take a look at Neil's trip report and images too.

http://liverpoolrspb.blogspot.co.uk/2015/05/cornflakes-to-corncrakes.html