05/05/2018 Samphire Hoe Country Park, Kent

Early-spider Orchid:  (Ophrys sphegodes) This species of orchid is mainly found on the south coast of England along the beautiful coastlines of  Dorset, Sussex and Kent. They flowers from late March until early June. It has a preference for locations near the sea, and one of its favourite places in Samphire How in Kent.







So, during my bank holiday weekend while staying at my mums in Essex I took the opportunity to take a drive out and visit one of England’s newest pieces of land, made from chalk marl, excavated from the Channel Tunnel.
Samphire Hoe has quickly become one of the world’s rarest habitats of chalk grassland and a haven for wildlife.
Upon arriving I deposited my donation for the parking and had a chat with some people who worked there who kindly pointed me in the direction of the rare orchid.


"Down by the dog poo bin" they said.


Spot on, right besides the bin were about six spires still in good condition, with another eight or so along the track.
These stunning, curious rare orchids get their name from the spider like shape they form, complete with an abdomen, head and even a pair of eyes.

This appearance is purely coincidental and a man made connection. It has nothing to do with attracting spiders to pollinate it! They are pollinated by small solitary wasps and bees.

Great little plant.


I did spot the beginnings of another orchid and one of particular interest was this orchid rosette. I'm unsure how to tell apart the rosettes of early-purple and common spotted orchids, but the thinner, fleshier rosette here makes me lean towards it being an common spotted.
I did have a long look for the early-spider orchid that lacks most of the anthocyanin that gives it colour and make the plant look pale, almost yellow in appearance (Ophrys sphegodes var. flavescens) but I was able to track it down.


Special thanks to Wild Orchids UK & Ireland @ukorchids who were a huge help giving me reliable information.